Thursday, January 5, 2012

Bleach no more....a safer alternative for your bathroom!

workingmom.com pic
Since I gave birth to my son, I have become more concerned and aware of toxins and chemicals in cleaning products. I am sure all Moms feel the same way I do so I did some research.

I am tired of using products full of chemicals, especially bleach for several reasons, I have to wear gloves, run to a well ventilated room so that I don't breathe in the smell and worry about how it affects me and my son.

Toxic Bathroom Cleaner Cartoon
One of the products I use is Clorox and this is what I discovered on their website:

Clorox Ingredients: The first of many ingredients listed on the Clorox website is Sodium Hypochlorite with a definition from the manufacturer. The same ingredient is listed on the NIH (National Institutes of Health website) and what could or would happen if the product is inhaled (mixed with Ammonia) or swallowed. It is a laundry list of side effects and some are deadly.

Does that make sense to you?

Did you know that Sodium Hypocholorite is also used in swimming pools?

Clorox Safety Statement on their website:
Because of the potential sensitivity of children to the strong odors of bleach and other cleaning products, conduct major cleaning (floors, walls, etc.) when children are not present. Then ventilate the area and allow surfaces to completely dry before allowing access to children. Spot cleaning should be conducted in accordance with label directions.


  • Do not use Clorox® Regular-Bleach full strength for cleaning surface.


  • Always dilute strictly in accordance with label directions.


  • Wear gloves when cleaning for prolonged periods.



  • Well, that Clorox statement got to me...since then I have spent months looking for a bleach free cleaner that fights tough stains and is affordable. I discovered The Wellness Company's Tub and Tile cleaner through a friend of mine.

    At first I was skeptical since I have tried several other products that either don't work well or smell horrible.

    I used the Tub and Tile cleaner several times before I decided to write about it because I wanted to make sure it worked. As instructed, I sprayed the surfaces with the cleaner and left the bathroom for 10 minutes. Then I sprayed water on the tile and most of the dirt disappeared and I noticed no horrible smell I can actually breath.

    I wiped the tile with a soft sponge in the areas with tougher stains and I barely scrubbed. My son takes a bath every night.

    The Wellness Company's tub & Tile Bathroom Cleaner lists all of the ingredients for you and it also warns you that it is an eye irritant (so don't splash it in your eye) and obviously avoid swallowing it.

    For more information on the Wellness Company or the products mentioned in the article, please contact my friend Cynthia via email at cynthia@timeforwhatmatters.com
    Whatever product you choose, please make sure to read the label and review Hero Mom's Health and Safety Tips for handling Cleaning products:

    Retro Hot Bath Tin Sign
    • You have the right to contact the Manufacturer to ask about the ingredients in the product. All manufacturers list their website and most list their phone number. As a busy Mom, I know you probably won't have time to do this but it is an option.
    • You can search for safety information on products and their ingredients by visiting the National Library of Medicine’s Household Products Database. (quickest way to find out)

    1968 Print Ad Tomorrow's Lestoil!
    Martian Mom Spacesuit
    • To learn more about common environmental and health claims listed on household cleaning products, click here. (does not have as many listings but still useful)
    • Health Alert: Did you know that people (including children) with heart or lung disease, asthma, upper respiratory problems, chronic allergies and pregnant women should avoid chemical solvents, especially bleach.
    • You should not wear your contact lenses when cleaning with any product (bleach free or not) because your contacts absorb vapors and hold them against the eye, causing eye irritation or eye damage.
    •  All contact wearers should put on eyeglasses before handling such products.
    • If the cleaners you’re using - irritate your nose, eyes and/or lungs, follow
    I hope this was helpful to you. Have a positive day.

    If you want more information on the Wellness Company or the products mentioned in the article, please contact my friend, Victoria at vpfreespirit@gmail.com or respond to me in the comments below.

    Source: Greenerchoices, freedictionary, melaleuca, clorox, NIH.

    Note: My article is based on my experience with bleach cleaners and I have the right to express my views under Article 19 of the Freedom of Speech act.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment